Day 106 - The Deep End (08/01/2017)

Back into uni teaching, and a very interesting day to be sure. We were back in hospital first thing rather than at the medical school, one quite a way from Leamington - George Eliot Hospital in Nuneaton, where I'd previously done my manual handling and first aid training. This meant leaving the house at 6.50am to catch the train to Warwick, where I met a coursemate in her car, for us then to pick up a carload of people on the way to the hospital. Five of us crammed in a small car was one of those perfectly 'studenty' experiences.

We got there with a few minutes to spare, picked up our new Trust ID badges and name tags (I was festooned with the things) and went into briefing. We learned a bit more about what we were supposed to be doing (meeting patients and generally getting ward exposure) and were introduced to the consultants. We then split into groups, collected locker keys and headed to the wards.

In our case we were with a fantastically friendly endocrinology consultant on the neurology ward, quite fitting given that the theme of Block 3 is Brain & Behaviour, the neurology block. We met a patient who had very kindly agreed to talk to us about his condition - a stroke which had paralysed them down one side of their body. As a group we took a full history as best we could, with my heart pounding in my chest as I was instructed 'Oliver, go and talk to the patient'. This was followed by a general exam and then a neurological exam, wherein we were instructed by the consultant as we have not covered this yet.

It was a very good learning experience to see this being done with an actual patient, although quite hard hitting for a first look. I wrapped up the history, as we are taught to do, by asking about the patient's expectations and desired outcomes. They did not seem to fully understand what had happened and expressed interest in 'getting this fixed' and going home. In this instance that was extremely unlikely, and would render their previous fitness hobbies fairly moot.

Back to uni for the afternoon, where we received a whistle stop tour of the cells relevant to nervous communication. Going to be a very heavy block I think.